Endocrine surgery is a subset of general surgery that treats conditions of the thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal glands. Learn more about Endocrine surgery here – the particular procedures that fall under this category, and when these surgeries are considered good treatment options. If you are experiencing thyroid problems, contact Dr. Michael Koeplin today to see if you would benefit from a thyroid biopsy or thyroid surgery. 651.224.1347.
What is Endocrine Surgery?
Endocrine surgical procedures are aimed at treating patients whose thyroid, parathyroid or adrenal glands are negatively impacting their health. Here are some specific endocrine procedures that Dr. Koeplin performs regularly:
- Thyroidectomy. This procedure involves partial or complete removal of the thyroid gland.
- Removal of one or more of the parathyroid glands.
- A procedure to remove the adrenal gland(s).
Who Needs Endocrine Surgery?
Endocrine surgery can be used to treat a variety of conditions that affect the thyroid, parathyroid, or adrenal glands. Here are a few conditions that may warrant a thyroidectomy or other endocrine procedure:
- Cancer of the thyroid, parathyroid, or adrenal glands.
- Hyperthyroidism. This condition occurs when the body produces too much thyroid hormone. If left untreated, it can cause excessive weight loss, quickened heartrate, and more serious issues.
- Goiter. This is a noncancerous growth of the thyroid gland. Even though they are not cancerous, they can cause swallowing and breathing difficulties in patients.
- Thyroid nodules. Sometimes a portion f the thyroid gland may need to be removed to exclude or diagnose cancer.
Minnesota Thyroid Surgery
A thyroidectomy procedure begins with general anesthesia to put the patient under for the duration of the surgery. Once the patient is asleep, the surgeon makes a small incision in the neck area, and navigates to the thyroid gland for removal. After the gland is extracted, the surgical incision is closed. Recovery will vary based on each particular patient, but most people are able to be discharged the same day or after a single over night stay. Most patients may return to light day-to-day activities within a week following the procedure.
Contact a Twin Cities Thyroid Doctor
If you have thyroid cancer or a thyroid condition that causes you pain or otherwise impacts your wellbeing, surgery to remove your thyroid gland may be your best option for treatment. Dr. Michael Koeplin is an established expert at performing thyroid surgeries. He has been successfully performing thyroidectomies in Minnesota for over 20 years. Make an appointment with Dr. Koeplin today to see if you are a good candidate for endocrine thyroid surgery. You can request an appointment using our online form, or by calling our office at 651.224.1347.